MZI Sports

Way off bulls-eye



Disappointment was written all over the face of national para archer K. Morogen after his contract with the National Sports Council (NSC) was not renewed.

And what irked him more was the lame reason given by the NSC.

The 47-year-old, who lost both of his legs during a sawmill accident, said the NSC told him that he did not fit in their 2020 Tokyo Paralympics plan because he was over 40.

But he was shocked to find out that other athletes above 40 had their contracts renewed.

“I received a letter stating that my contract was not renewed and that I was not part of the plans for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics,” said Morogen.

“I was told by word of mouth that it was because of my age. But this reason was not stated in the letter.

“I accepted it at first, but then I was shocked to hear that there were other athletes above 40 who made it,” he claimed.

When he questioned the NSC over the double standard, he was told that he was not included due to his poor performance at last year’s Para Asian Games in Indonesia.

“But none of us won any medals at the Para Asian Games. I couldn’t perform well because there was a problem with my bow,” he said.

Morogen was a standout performer at the Asean Para Games in Kuala Lumpur in 2017 when he won the compound gold in the mixed team event with Nor Sa’adah Abdul Wahab and silver in the individual event.

And he continued his winning form at the Para Malaysian Games last year in Ipoh with two golds and two silvers.

Morogen is also the second highest Malaysian in the world rankings at 43rd place, while Nor Sa’adah is at 36th.

“I’m not the only one facing this predicament as my fellow archer Azrul Abdul Rashid is also in the same situation,” he said.

“And I heard that my mixed team partner Nor Sa’adah had her contract renewed and she is 41-years-old.

National para archery (compound) head coach Tan Peng Loon has even stepped down from his post due to NSC’s decision to drop Morogen from the Olympic plan.

“I stepped down because I cannot agree with the decision to drop Morogen. If they say age is an issue, it’s not true,” said Peng Loon.

“In archery, sometimes the older athletes are more calm, composed and experienced. And even at the Paralympic Complex in Kampung Pandan, the scores of the younger archers are nowhere as good as Morogen.

“I think Morogen still has it in him to fight for a place in the Paralympics in Tokyo, and this decision to drop him is just sad.”

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :