Archery: Asian Grand Prix championships on despite H1N1 threat
THE National Archery Association of Malaysia (NAAM) will go ahead with its plans to host the 3rd Asian Grand Prix championships despite the A H1N1 virus threat, at least for now.
NAAM secretary Abdul Hamid Hasan said the decision to continue with plans to host the July 5-12 championships at the Keramat sports complex, was made at a meeting chaired by its president Tan Sri Abdul Khalil Abdul Mutalif at the National Sports Council (NSC) yesterday.
"However, if the Health Ministry and NSC issue a directive to cancel the event, we will abide by their decision," Abdul Hamid said when contacted yesterday.
Abdul Hamid also said that all countries must be aware of the situation and be ready to accept any cancellation at the last minute.
He said seven countries -- South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Hong, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the Philippines -- have so far confirmed their entries for the championships.
"We are expecting 10 countries to confirm their participation by Saturday's closing date," he said.
Abdul Hamid said Malaysia will field six men and six women archers for the championships. -- Bernama